St. Martin de Porres Primary School

The School

The school is named after St Martin de Porres who was born in Lima, Peru in 1579 to a Spanish nobleman and a freed slave from Panama. His father left Martin’s mother and Martin grew up in poverty. However, he always helped those around him who he considered to be less fortunate than himself. He worked with the Dominican order nursing the sick, raising money for the poor and establishing an orphanage and hospital in the slums for children.  St Martin never forgot his humble origins and through his life demonstrated that he was a man who was deeply concerned about racial justice. He died on November 3rd 1639. He was canonized in 1962 by Pope John XX111. St Martin is the patron saint of mixed-race people and of all those seeking interracial harmony.

The school is situated on Pastures Way in Lewsey Farm. The school opened on 21st April 1969 as separate Infant and Junior schools. Mr Scott Boydell was the first headteacher of the Junior school and Miss Pat Williams was the first headteacher of the Infant school.  The two schools became a Primary school in September 2000. The current Head teacher is Mr J Carroll.

We know our children will be well educated at St Martin’s, where there is a caring and happy atmosphere with staff dedicated to the children in their care.

Read our Mission Statement

Photo Album